>> Jan 11, 2010 4:12:57 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve
invoke
>> SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet SwchServlet threw exception
>> java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException

>> There is no clue as to why this might be happening.

False, that IS the clue.  SwchServlet code is using an index into an
array (or something ultimately treated as an array) and simply stepping
outside the bounds.

Is the code using a logger?  Check how that is used/configured, as that
might be why you're not seeing a full stack trace.  Someone may have
written code to trap an exception and then issue their own message.