Very difficult to know what the problem is.  One thing you can now do
(as you've switched to another production server) is to run a memory
test across the "bad" server.  A T110 doesn't use error-correcting
memory, as I recall, so a dodgy bit could cause problems.  Give it a
couple of hours with memtest86+ and you'll at least know whether
you've been chasing phantoms due to a hardware error.

(I'm perhaps biased - I've had memory errors on three low-end servers now)

- Peter