2010/1/17 Hassan Schroeder <hassan.schroe...@gmail.com>:
> You're welcome to your opinion, but personally I think the whole
> splatter-files-all-over-the-system repackaging approach is horribly
> flawed for apps like Tomcat
[...]

Tomcat has a very strong view on where its files should live.
Some OSs have very strong views on where particular kinds of files should live.
The two views are at odds.

There are three ways of dealing with this:
Neither OS nor Tomcat teams do anything (leaving users and
re-packagers to deal with the mess).
OS teams become more flexible over file placement.
Tomcat team becomes more flexible over file placement.

I suspect - without proof - that adding in that flexibility to Tomcat
using a well-defined configuration file would take less of the
committers' time than the time that is consumed debugging problems
with repackaged Tomcats now.

- Peter