On Sun, 2010-01-17 at 21:55 -0600, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
> > From: Rick Bragg [mailto:li...@gmnet.net]
> > Subject: Cyclos Webapp Trouble (404)
> >
> > After following these steps, and restarting tomcat6 I get a 404 error,
> > Also, the database remains empty.
>
> As stated before, using a real Tomcat download from tomcat.apache.org,
> installing the most recent GA version of MySQL (5.1.42), and the current
> cyclos (3.5.5), it all works fine.  The problem you are now having appears to
> be due to the use of a security manager; either turn that off, or update the
> appropriate properties file to include all the necessary entries to allow
> cyclos to work.  I have no idea where Ubuntu places (or even names) the
> security properties file, and certainly no idea what needs to be added to
> make cyclos work with one.
>
> Again, I would strongly recommend that you uninstall the Ubuntu 3rd-party
> version, and put in a real Tomcat, so we can all be looking at a common setup.
>
>  - Chuck

> attachments from all computers.

Hi,

Thanks Chuck, One could argue to not use a package manager at all,
however I would rather use the package manager for this to make things
easier down the road.  I did manage to get a bit further, and you are
right about the security manager.

I got rid of the errors in the previous post by setting privileges for
the classes and libs (see below), but now I'm stuck on mysql

Here is a brief snip from my error log

Jan 18, 2010 2:05:07 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext listenerStart
SEVERE: Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of
class org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener
with name 'sessionFactory' defined in class path resource
[nl/strohalm/cyclos/spring/persistence.xml]: Invocation of init method failed;
nested exception is java.lang.RuntimeException: Error connecting to database at
jdbc:mysql://localhost/cyclos3?useUnicode=true&characterEncoding=utf8
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Error connecting to database at
jdbc:mysql://localhost/cyclos3?useUnicode=true&characterEncoding=utf8
        at
nl.strohalm.cyclos.setup.DataBaseConfiguration.validateConnection(DataBaseConfiguration.java:342)
        at
nl.strohalm.cyclos.setup.DataBaseConfiguration.run(DataBaseConfiguration.java:107)
Caused by: com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.CommunicationsException:
Communications link failure

I have the following policies in:
vi /etc/tomcat6/policy.d/50local.policy

// The permissions granted to the context WEB-INF/classes and lib directories
 grant codeBase "file:${catalina.base}/webapps/cyclos/WEB-INF/classes/-" {
  permission java.security.AllPermission;
 };
 grant codeBase "file:${catalina.base}/webapps/cyclos/WEB-INF/lib/-" {
  permission java.security.AllPermission;
 };

// The permission granted to your JDBC driver
 grant codeBase
"jar:file:${catalina.base}/webapps/cyclos/WEB-INF/lib/mysql-connector-java-5.1.7-bin.jar!/-"
 {
      permission java.net.SocketPermission "localhost:3306", "connect";
 };

I think maybe my JDBC permissions are not quite right, or there is something
with the driver, but I'm not sure...

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks again!
Rick