I take your point about getting realistic heap info. It's also been suggested that I set up & profile a version just executing the Java side without DWR in the loop.

Thanks
Ken

On Jan 20, 2010, at 10:02 PM, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:

From: Ken Bowen [mailto:kbo...@als.com]
Subject: memory leak

Short version: I have a project which gets some simple info from a db
via DWR, and outputs it simply on the page. There is a memory leak on
the java side.

First off, do you really have a leak? top is not an appropriate tool for examining Java heap usage. JConsole, JVisualVM, and the various GC logging settings will give you real information.

If you really do have a leak, you can use a heap profiler to find out what's consuming the space and who's allocating it. Also, jhat can be used with a heap dump to trace objects back to their roots, so you can see if there perhaps are any object references lying around that should have been cleared; loggers and pooling mechanisms (as Travis noted) are somewhat infamous for doing that.

- Chuck