Fletcher Cocquyt <fcocquyt <at> stanford.edu> writes:

> Hi, this question is coming from the operations team perspective.
> Currently our (small 3 member) ops team is responsible for deploying java apps
> weekly from a set of dozens in a less than great 4am-6am window on Wednesdays.
..snip..
> So questions about the things maven seems to address:
> testing: unit, integration testing - article mentions selenium?
> sensitive data: database passwords (can these be securely handled in maven?)
>
> Additional, medium-long term goals:
> Standardize the development environment and processes.
> Leverage the virtual infrastructure we have built with vmware: have the
> developers use standard VM images from templates (ensure consistent JDK, libs
> etc), integrate with lab manager/vApp/VMware Studio concepts.

thanks for the feedback & recommendations
In fact we already have one keen developer using Maven, and another using CI
(hudson) -

On the medium/long term goal I would like to see us one day deploying to private
cloud via VMWare's vCloud API
http://communities.vmware.com/community/developer/forums/vcloudapi
or the like.

Some interesting activity in this area:
http://code.google.com/p/jclouds/wiki/QuickStartTerremark

Looks like a fun integration project to marry all these together!

thanks,
Fletch.