Richard Cooke wrote:
Thanks for your response.  Unfortunately this did not help.

I did not install Tomcat with the 'native' checkbox ticked and do not have
tcnative.dll in my Tomcat directory.  I also have the latest version of the
JVM installed.

Unfortunately then I am out of my depth, and we will have to wait for someone who really knows what he is talking about.
But the information above is helpful.
To insure that you get the quickest response from now on, it would be a good idea to specify exactly which version of Tomcat and which version of JVM you are using. In the Tomcat bin directory, there should normally be a "version.bat" file, which when executed diplays useful information.
(But it is only available in the zip version of the Tomcat download).