> From: Steffen Heil [mailto:li...@steffen-heil.de]
> Subject: AW: tomcat memory usage
>
> I am not sure, where the Class objects themselfes reside.

They are in PermGen along with a very few other internally-generated structures.

> Whereever they are, static references are in there.

Actually, there's no requirement that static fields be in the java.lang.Class
instance or even in PermGen, as long as the interpreter, the two JITs, and GC
know how to find them.  It would be easy to locate static fields on the C heap,
with just a pointer in the native part of the java.lang.Class instance to the
location.  But I believe they actually are in PermGen, since that makes the
card table marking easier when a reference field is updated via putstatic.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.