I just finished installing 64 bit tomcat (6.0.24) on 64 bit JVM
(1.6.0_18)on 64 bit OS (WIN 2008). I was able to install it as a service
without any problems.

The trick is to start with the zip file distribution (64 bit). Do not
use the windows installer as it is for 32 bit.

Here are the steps:

1. download and install the 64 bit JVM from SUN.
2. download the 64 bit distribution of Tomcat (6.0.24) winzip file
(apache-tomcat-6.0.24-windows-x64.zip)
3. extract the zip file to a  desired location
4. Navigate to the tomcat/bin directory (refer to step 3 for location)
5. Create a new bat file setenv.bat (declare and set JAVA_HOME,
JRE_HOME, and CATALINA_HOME) as per your settings.
6. Edit startup.bat, shutdown.bat and to call setenv.bat first
7. zip file distribution of 64 bit tomcat comes with following 3 files
(service.bat, tomcat6.exe, and tomcat6w.exe)
8. Edit service.bat to make a call to setenv.bat - should be the first
command)
9. From a DOS/Command prompt execute service.bat with the keyword
install

service.bat install

That's all there is to install Tomcat as a service on 64 bit.

Thanks,
Anurag                  301-296-3838
*** Please note my email address has changed. Please update it to
amehro...@telebright.com

The information contained in this message may be privileged and
confidential and protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this
responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of
communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the
message and deleting it from your computer.