Hi Carl, I've skimmed thru all your posts, please excuse me if these
questions are redundant.

You've mentioned VisualJVM, JMeter, and Slackware monitoring tools, it seems
to me that you are using these to occasionally to monitor you Tomcat
instance, when things seem to be going badly (thats my perception from
reading your posts)

Have you done any long term sampling (Tomcat threads, memory, etc) of your
system?

I use Slackware 12.2 (32-bit), Httpd 2.2, Java 1.6, Tomcat 6.0.18 and had
Tomcat die in a manner similiar to yours:  First it died silently (nothing
in the catalina.out), the next time (about a week later) it became
non-responsive complaining about PermGen, OOMException and so on.  I haven't
determined the cause yet, I rolled over to another server (exact same
hardware/software btw).

I ran Memtest on the problematic server, no problems detected.

Anyways, I've been sampling the httpd process count, tomcat thread count,
and free memory (sans cache and buffers) every minute via a cron job and
writing the results to a file on both machines since this issue arose about
2 weeks ago.  My hope is that the next time it bugs out, i'll be able to say
"oh the thread count exploded, but the memory use only increased
incrementally" or whatever the cause actually is.

Have you done any monitoring at that fine grained a level on your systems?

It would be especially interesting to see how your old HW setup compares to
the new ones.

Hope I've helped a little bit :)