I believe that via a post on another list I have discovered the source of
the trouble:

According to the servlet specification...

The following are the conditions that must be met before post form
data will be populated to the parameter set:
1. The request is an HTTP or HTTPS request.
2. The HTTP method is POST.
3. The content type is application/x-www-form-urlencoded.
4. The servlet has made an initial call of any of the getParameter
family of methods on the request object.

So the failure is not Tomcat's, but the Servlet Spec's. There is no reason
for this to be limited to POST -- both POST and PUT send entities to the
server.

I can only presume that this is a "feature" of Tomcat, ergo I won't bother
with a bug report.

Sigh.

Chas.