Fabian,

On 2/8/2010 8:29 AM, Fabian Panthen wrote:
> not sure whether here is the right place to post, but i give it a shot...

This is the right place.

I would have thought this was a simply "javac" compiler mismatch, but
that doesn't appear to be the case given the other posts in this thread.

> I have a webapp with JSP's using some classes from WEB-INF/classes in a
> declaration block (<%!%>),
> running in tomcat 6 on jdk1.6.0_14.
>
> The problem is such,
>
> if I compile the classes in WEB-INF/classes using eclipse Galileo
> everything runs fine.
> But if I compile those same classes using ANT, jsp compilation in tomcat
> fails with the following stack trace:
>
> org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.classfmt.ClassFormatException
[snip]
>      at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:334)
[snip]
> org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:489)
>      at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Interesting that the JSP compiler uses the Eclipse compiler, here. :)

It's possible that the internal compiler requires a certain level of
class file. Were there any /other/ messages in your log files and/or
error report?

Has Eclipse (outside of Tomcat) been configured to emit .class files in
a certain format? I'm guessing this hasn't been done for 'ant', so maybe
they need to match each other.

> This happens as well under tomcat 5.5.
> Changing the ANT build to use the same JDT compiler as eclipse did not
> change the problem.
> Using javap I checked both compiled versions of the classes and they do
> have the same major version.

Really? Hmm. Could you double-check that and post what you get?

It's possible that there's a bug in the compiler that can't read some
particular thing in the class file.