Paul,

On 2/11/2010 4:35 PM, Paul Chany wrote:
> Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> writes:
>> Wait, why can only some of the "Windows boxes" (clients) access your "PC
>> box" (the server)? I would think that if you just want to have shared
>> folders, you ought to be able to do that using standard Microsoft
>> Windows Network File Sharing (SMB).
>
> No, not the server but the so called shared folder. You know, right
> click on the folder and choose Sharing and Security.

Right.... the "server" here is both a physical machine (your "PC box")
and a service running on that machine to share files. That software uses
a protocol called SMB.

So, you haven't answered my question: why can only some clients connect
and others not?

>>> So I must to copy my shared folders to another PC box because for
>>> those pupils who can't access my shared folders on the first PC box.
>>
>> Uh, that doesn't sound right. Can you explain in more detail? Why can't
>> all clients contact the server? If they can't contact your server, now,
>> why do you think they would be able to contact the server if it were
>> running Tomcat?
>
> Again, not the server, but the shared folder, using Windows Explorer.

The shared folder is on the server.

> But, when I was installed Tomcat server, then from the LAN everyone
> can access the Tomcat sever's homepage, using a web browser (Firefox
> or Internet Explorer.
>
> The problem is accessing only the shared folder and not the Tomcat
> server for everyone from the LAN's PC boxes.

Right: what IS the problem?

> OK, then I will try to install on the teachers PC box Windows system
> an apache server, and try to setup WebDAV so my pupils can access a
> folder on the teacher's PC box using http. :)

Is it just that you want to use HTTP instead of SMB? This seems like a
lot of work for no discernible gain. WebDAV really sucks compared to SMB
from the typical user's perspective.

>> If you really want to write something like this, we can help you. But,
>> please, first investigate your other options, first.
>
> Thanks, but I will try first the Apache WebDAV solution. :)

Good luck.