Carl ,
At this point it is probably would be much simpler for you to just move away
from Slackware .
Building jvm from source ,debugging with strace - this is a very hard path .
And once you find the bug - there is nothing that you can do with it.
You are not going to fix jvm/libc bugs ,right?
You could report it and wait for new release .
Probably your best bet would be use another distro and download Sun's jvm
from thier site.
Evgeny