On 18/02/2010 00:42, Kevin Mills wrote:
> On 2/17/10, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>> <snip/>
>>
>>> :-)  "Doesn't work", meaning I don't get prompted for my certificate.
>>> I see my servlet's output without any sort of authentication.
>>
>> What URL are you requesting? Only index.jsp will prompt for a cert. Your
>> servlet will just require SSL to be used.
>
> Ooooohhh... my mistake!  Yes, index.jsp does prompt me for a
> certificate!  So how would I make the servlet also require one?  I was
> under the (mistaken?) impression that the "/*" url-pattern would cover
> the servlet.

The rules on how security constraints combine are in the Servlet spec.
It can take a bit of time to get your head around it.

To require a cert for your servlet too, one option would be:

      <security-constraint>
          <web-resource-collection>
              <web-resource-name>Everything</web-resource-name>
              <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
          </web-resource-collection>
          <auth-constraint>
              <role-name>X509</role-name>