On 18/02/2010 23:42, Leon Kolchinsky wrote:
Constrains of the application :(
You can't run 2 instances in same time on the same DB.
That's why I have to configure "Cold Failover" for that I need to find
out that Tomcat is in unresponsive state to shut it down completely and
start it on another server.

In that case, maybe start the alternate server, but not the application.

If the original is unresponsive then shutting it down without local access to that machine could be quite hard.

But what's the best way (or may be the only way) to achieve that?

Unless anyone else on the list knows something about mod_jk capabilities with regard to starting / stopping a server, I think you've looking at:

 server1.app1 : monitored by server2.app1

 server2.app1 : monitoring app
 server2.app2 : duplicate app

Where server2.app2 is not started, but can be started by server2.app1, perhaps using the manager app JMX API.

In any case you're looking at a 3rd application to perform the monitoring & management. Admin notification could occur on any app startup.

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 10:11, Pid <p...@pidster.com