I doubt this is due to code-size actually causing this, and suspect the servlet
is filling up memory with data.  Can you check the servlet code for a large
data load and optimize that loading per request?

-----Original Message-----
From: Torsten [mailto:twisted2...@yahoo.de]
Sent: Friday, February 19, 2010 9:14 AM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Servlet takes up too much memory that is never released

Hi,

I have a HTTPServlet that takes up a lot of memory. The servlet is initialized
when its web page is opened for the first time. Then, memory consumption of the
tomcat process rises by up to 400MB. This amount of memory is never released
again, then, even though the servlet's web page is not accessed anymore and
there is no activity in the servlet anymore.

I wonder what I can do to make Tomcat unload my servlet after usage
automatically. I read in the specs that the decision when a servlet is being
unloaded by calling its destroy() method is up to the servlet container.
However, it does not seem to unload a servlet at all, even though the complete
process becomes very slow and all other servlets running inside the container
are affected.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!