Hassan Schroeder wrote:
On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 3:23 AM, imrank <imran...@gmail.com> wrote:

Can I use the approach of having all the files sitting on a single NFS file
server and have the different tomcat instances read/write the files to that
server's filesystem? I guess theres gonna be some cost in terms of network
latency...

Not to mention creating a single point of failure.

Alternatively, keep local copies on each server and use rsync to
maintain consistent images.

Not to mention possible inconsistencies between the different copies..
;-)
Imagine you have 4 balanced Tomcats, each of which has its own file repository, and each of which can potentially run the next upload request or download request. To/from where does the file get uploaded/downladed ? (until all rsyncs have run). And if the file is there twice, but different, which one is correct ? (how would rsync know ?)

There are probably more than one sensible configuration possible. Choosing the best one would really depend on details of the application.