From: Mark Thomas [mailto:ma...@apache.org]
Sent: 24 February 2010 11:41
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Multiple Tomcat servers, one war location

On 24/02/2010 11:31, James Law wrote:
> Hi
>
> My googlefoo seems to be lacking here as I'm unable to find any info
on
> how I could set this up.
>
> In essence I have multiple machines in a cluster and ideally I'd like
> have a central network share for war files to be kept. As it would
save
> me copying an updated war file to each individual machine, and means I
> know they are all using the same war version.

WAR files served directly from network shares are usually a bad idea...

> Obviously keeping the exploded folder on the local machine.

... as you have realised. There is, unfortunately, no easy way to split
the WAR location and the DIR location.

> Can anyone give me assistance or maybe a better way of implementing
> this? Or even just point me to the place I need to be reading.
>
> All machines are running WinXP and Tomcat 6.0.24

I'd do something along the lines of the following:
- have the WARs in a shared location
- run a script every x minutes on each server that polls the share and
copies any updated WARs to the local appBase

You could extend this to remove deleted WARs etc but be sure to handle
the error case of the share being down correctly.

HTH,

Mark

Search all of our current vacancies at www.generic-software.com
Please consider the environment - do you really need to print this email?
The information contained within this message is intended for the addressee
only and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are
not the addressee, please delete this message and notify the sender - you
should not copy, distribute or disclose its contents to other parties.

Any images, documents, views or opinions expressed in this message are
those of the sender and do not necessarily represent those of Triad
Group PLC or any of its affiliates. No reliance may be placed on this
message without written confirmation from an authorised company
representative, and no actions should be taken based on its contents.

Generic, a division of Triad Group Plc. Registered in England No. 2285049 @
Weyside Park, Catteshall Lane, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1XE
Tel: 01908 278450
VAT Registered No: 657 9199 72