James,

On 2/24/2010 12:09 AM, James Roper wrote:
> The acceptCount works just like it does on the other processors, it gets
> passed to the ServerSocket as the backlog parameter.  This limit will be
> reached if the acceptor thread(s) aren't able to accept new requests
> quickly enough.  This is where behaviour differs from the default HTTP
> connector, all the acceptor threads do is add the channel to a poller
> which uses the NIO selectors to wait on activity, and then return
> quickly.  As far as I can see, the number of active selectors can be
> unlimited, is that right?  Would there be any advantages in limiting
> this?  What would happen if such a limit was reached?  On the default
> HTTP connector though, when new requests arrive, the handler will block
> until it can get a free worker thread, so the acceptCount limit could
> easily be reached.  In order to reach the acceptCount limit in the NIO
> connector, the server would have to be under a massive amount of load,
> such that the accept thread never gets scheduled to accept new
> connections.  This would be a difficult limit to reach, so the
> acceptCount is possibly not a very useful parameter for the NIO connector.

I'm an expert in neither the NIO Connector nor Comet, but your logic
seems reasonable: if the NIO selector thread simply queues incoming
requests. If that queue is unbounded, the server may never catch up and
suffer an OOME. I don't see any options to limit the queue size.

> There is another pool for comet requests, this is the connections map in
> the NIO connector.  This is unlimited, and it's used to store all comet
> requests that are not currently being processed by a worker thread.
> Would there be any advantages to limiting this?  What would happen if
> such a limit was reached?

Again, I agree with your reasoning: unbounded queues like these could
cause major problems.

> The poller threads just select on all the active channels, and hand work
> off to the worker threads.  The number of threads allowed in this pool
> enforce no limits on concurrent requests.

Are they handed directly to worker threads, or are they queued somewhere
and the worker thread waits on the queue? If the workers are used
directly, and there is no queue, then there is no problem: the poller
thread will block waiting for a worker thread.

> I know that part of the
> advantage of NIO is that it handles DoS situations that are caused by
> making a small number of requests that read/write very slowly much
> better than the thread per request model, so such limits may be
> unlimited by default, but some applications may be able to benefit from
> setting a limit in Tomcat.

If your conclusions are correct, I agree that limits should be settable
for these queues.