Chuck I am aware.

A SIGSEGV is a signal sent by the kernel. Not a violation itsself.

A sigsegv is sent when an invalid memory access is attempted by a
process in userspace, in other words a page fault occurs, when the page
is actually present in physical memory but cannot be accessed by the
program.
When this kind of violation occurs the a sigsegv is sent by the kernel
to the violating program.

At least that's what 'Understanding the linux kernel' leads me to
believe (chapter process address space, page fault exception handler
p376 - 378).