I suggest the following :

I) If tomcat is running as a Windows service, then you should shut it down by stopping the Windows Service (and not by stopping down Tomcat directly).

To stop the Tomcat-related Windows Service, there are two methods :

a) use the "Services" applet of Windows
(e.g. "My Computer" --> Manage --> Services and Applications --> Services --> Apache Tomcat 6), right-click and choose "Stop service"

b) in a command window, use the command
net stop "Apache Tomcat 6"

II) If Tomcat is not running as a Windows Service, but in a command window, then :

a) if you have started Tomcat with the command "startup.bat", then a separate command window was opened to run Tomcat.
In that case, you have 2 choices to stop Tomcat :

a-1) in the same window where you started Tomcat with the command "startup.bat", enter the command "shutdown.bat".

a-2) in the command window where Tomcat is running, enter CTRL-C

b) if you have started Tomcat with the command "catalina.bat run", then Tomcat runs directly in the Window where you entered this command.
To stop it, type CTRL-C.

c) in any of the cases (a) or (b) above, the other methods indicated in the previous messages will work also.