Sometimes on a busy system I have seen that "catalina.sh stop" does take
a long time to shutdown tomcat. We are running another "monitoring
service" on the system that monitors tomcat and few other system
services. After issuing "catalina.sh" and waiting for some time (up to
25 seconds) it loses patience and gives a SIGTERM to tomcat process.
SIGTERM seems to bring tomcat down much faster.

What is  the downside of using SIGTERM, if any? It does seem to bring
tomcat down in an orderly manner and much faster than "catalina.sh
stop".