André Warnier wrote:
David Kerber wrote:
It turns out that the shared vs lib issue doesn't matter (at least for my very simple case), and SOME of the config files can be used in both places, but others cannot. I didn't check all of the files in conf, but I did check server.xml, context.xml and web.xml, and found that their contents will work with both server versions (again, at least for my simple case) . However, when I started looking at some of the other files in conf, I found major differences between the two versions. So I copied all the various files from the conf folder under 6.0.24 into the conf folder in my catalina_base tree, and it immediately started working.

I just want to point out this other thread, and Chuck's last answer in it.

Best Practices for Deployment with separate Context XML file

Yes, I've been following that thread closely, because it's exactly what I want to do. According to Chuck's recommendations, it turns out that I've *mostly* been doing things correctly; I just screwed up the conversion from 5.5 to 6.0 by using the 5.5 conf folder contents (see below).

Basically, if one of your hidden purposes was to investigate whether a convenient tactic for the migration from 5.5 to 6.0 would be to set up tomcat 6.0 so that, when tomcat 5.5 is switched off and tomcat 6.0 switched on, things (like your webapps located below catalina_base) would just "continue working" smoothly, the recommendation is still "don't".

That wasn't my conscious intent, but that is in effect what I was doing, and yeah, I discovered that the hard way that it won't work...

Even if you have now managed to make this work in your simple test case, there is no guarantee that somewhere down the line something else might not bite you. The basic point made indirectly by the experts, is that tomcat 5.5 and tomcat 6.0 were not developed in a way to make this kind of "cooperation" or upgrade possible. They are two independent versions, and there may be things that look the same, and are in the same place in both, but are incompatible in some devious way, and would create some horrible-to-find bug some time later.

However, the same webapps should work under both.
So maybe re-locating your webapps to be somewhere outside of the Tomcat directory structure (and "pointed to" by both Tomcat 5.5 and Tomcat 6.0), is really what you are looking for.

Now that I have it working under 6.0, I will be removing TC 5.5 completely; I have no need or desire for it to work under both. I only went through this bastardized setup in a misguided attempt to figure out why my migration from 5.5 to 6.0 wasn't working. Basically, the problem was that I copied too much stuff from my previous 5.5 tree; if I had not copied the stuff from the conf folder, it would have worked.

I do need to run multiple indpendent copies of the same webapp (for different customers), and I want the webapp tree to be outside of the tc installation tree, which is why I use the catalina_base setting (through catalina.base in the tomcat6w java window). But I copied the entire "tomcatclients" (my name for the top-level folder) tree, including the conf folders under each webapp folder, and that's what messed up the migration. Once I cleared out the 5.5 stuff from that folder, and copied in the 6.0 stuff from the tc 6.0 installation folder, things started working.

Thanks!