André Warnier wrote:

I have not tested the following, and it is not based on any certain knowledge based on the HTTP RFCs, so treat with caution, but you could try a cheap trick : In the link to that "document" in the html page, add a dummy query string, like :
instead of
http://servername/webappname/js/config/my.json
try
http://servername/webappname/js/config/my.json?a=my.json

The presence of the query string /might/ trick the browser in thinking that this is not a static page, and force it to re-request it from the server.

By the way, forget the above, it does not work, or only partially.
The browser does not serve it from its cache the second time, but the server sends a 304 anyway.
(I tried with http://tomcat.apache.org)

What I wrote about the browser plugin and looking at the request/response header sequence is still true however, and is very instructive.