Campbell, Lance wrote:
I have a web server and an application server.  I use mod_jk to
communicate between apache2.0 and tomcat 6.  I don't believe the
communication between apache and tomcat is secured by default.  Is there
a way to have it send the information in a secure way.

Taking your question strictly as phrased, I don't think so, because the mod_jk/Tomcat AJP protocol is not encrypted.
If you really needed to do this, you could use an SSH tunnel however.
If you really needed to and the physical constraints allow it, you could also link your Apache with the back-end Tomcat with a dedicated LAN, and avoid the overhead of SSL.