Asangansi,

I'm all for VM's and I use ESXi at home myself. I can't speak to Xen or other virtualization tech. And I don't think you can make a bootable VM, but I'll admit if I'm wrong. You can check the VMWare forums. I've just found that often times it's easier to sell the client on just letting me plug in my 16Gb USB thumb drive than it is to either let me either install vmware, or boot up their hardware with my own OS. I come from a Gov't contracting background, so commercial sector policies may have a little more flexibility. Just my experience. As far as Xampp goes, I've not had that problem. I set it up once and haven't had to touch it since (I did have to make some changes to the mod_jk.conf, but if you don't need it connected to appache then you can disable that with the Xampp_cli. Xampp also comes with port checker that you can run before you start Tomcat, so you can change your config if need.
Of course the alternative to all this is just host it.

-----Original Message-----
From: Asangansi <asangansi.enyen...@gmail.com>
To : Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Thu Mar 18 8:17:56 2010
Subject: Re: Portable

Thanks alot Chris and Todd,

Yes, i want to avoid conflicts with the host computer's default tomcat ports.

From what you said about using a virtualized server, if i used VM Ware
could it be made bootable? I'd like to try the option

I have actually tried xampp Todd mentioned, but the problem i had with
xampp is that it asks me to setup each time i take it to another pc.
However, i had another tomcat installation before using the
xampp(tomcat) option.