Hi ,

We have a online shop developed as a suite of JSR168 portlets. On some
portlets we list products and images (so there are about 25 images per
page + other images).
One image has around 250k.

Performance was greatly improved after we put apache httpd in front
(images served by apache & gzipped response for js, html, css).
We  did not note  numbers, but the improvement could be seen with naked
eye.

Now, reading the article, I think we should have tried APR also :)
But hei, there are other reasons too for using httpd, such as handful
apache modules (e.g. mod rewrite or gzip compression)

Note:
tomcat 6.0.18,  NOT configured with APR
running on debian linux sun jdk6

Regards,