Pid wrote:
On 02/04/2010 09:51, Paul Taylor wrote:
I would like every request to be redirected to a central servlet EXCEPT
  if the request is simply index.html, but at the moment everything gets
redirected to the servlet, how could I do what I want

This is extract from my web.xml

<servlet-mapping>
<servlet-name>SearchServerServlet</servlet-name>
<url-pattern>/</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>

The above makes your servlet the default servlet, so it'll handle all requests that aren't handled by more specific url-patterns. The welcome files won't be processed.

You could employ a Servlet Filter which analyses the requestURI and forwards to your servlet, but that calls chain.doFilter(hreq, hres) otherwise.

Hmm, I know why it doesnt work but i was hoping I could add something to this file so that the servlet doesnt pickup index.html, is that not possible.

Paul