On 02/04/2010 14:04, Rick Bragg wrote:
On Thu, 2010-04-01 at 22:46 +0100, Pid wrote:
On 01/04/2010 20:17, Rick Bragg wrote:
On Thu, 2010-04-01 at 18:55 +0100, Pid wrote:
On 01/04/2010 18:04, Rick Bragg wrote:
On Wed, 2010-03-31 at 23:37 +0400, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
2010/3/31 Rick Bragg<li...@gmnet.net>:
What am I missing?

Cyclos support forum is here:
http://project.cyclos.org/forum/

   From Tomcat point of view, there is nothing wrong in what you did.

Just speculating here (as I am not a Cyclos user),
you might have a) updated not all configuration files, b) screwed when
"copying" a database.   I can suggest to start with installing a new
copy of cyclos next to the existing one. (Do they support installation
with a non-default name?)

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Thanks,
I do have a posting in that forum as well, but they seem to think it is
more of a tomcat problem.  I tried to install a new copy along side my
existing one, and I get the same problem.  The new copy DOES make the
new database fine when I restart tomcat, but tomcat dies after that.

Can you define "dies" in slightly more technical terms?

What is in the logs?

Hi,

Sorry, it seems there are no errors in the logs, but after I copy (cp
-Rp ...) then restart it on the command line (/etc/init.d/tomcat6
restart) I see "stopping... OK" then starting ... OK".  I go to visit
any site on the system http://xxx.xx:8080/manager for example, and there
is no service running on 8080.  It just hangs waiting to connect.  If I
now restart again, it only says "starting ... OK" not "stopping - then
starting".  It seems that as long as I have a second copy of cyclos in
webapps dir, the service running on 8080 is no longer running after any
restarts until I remove that directory and restart.  All permissions are
identical. and the database does get populated correctly.  Very
Puzzling.

You are copying a live application to a location where it will create
another live application?

Or are you stopping first, then copying, then starting again?

What happens if you start up using the scripts in tomcat/bin?

What is in actually in catalina.out?  (Please include real log data.)

Is Tomcat actually running when you have two applications deployed?

What is the output of "ps -aef | grep tomcat" when run after starting
tomcat with both apps?

Hi,

Thanks so much for all the help!

Here is some more info.  Tomcat is no longer running after starting with
both apps. (ps aux shows no tomcat...)

Or java?

It seems that the logs just stop whey they get to "Initializing Spring
root WebApplicationContext" for the second app.

So it actually kills the whole server?  That sound like a pretty epic fail.

Here are the logs after starting with both apps:

localhost log:
Apr 2, 2010 8:36:52 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: default: DefaultServlet.init:  input buffer size=2048, output buffer
size=2048
Apr 2, 2010 8:36:53 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: default: DefaultServlet.init:  input buffer size=2048, output buffer
size=2048
Apr 2, 2010 8:36:53 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: default: DefaultServlet.init:  input buffer size=2048, output buffer
size=2048
Apr 2, 2010 8:36:53 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: ContextListener: contextInitialized()
Apr 2, 2010 8:36:53 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: SessionListener: contextInitialized()
Apr 2, 2010 8:36:53 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: default: DefaultServlet.init:  input buffer size=2048, output buffer
size=2048
Apr 2, 2010 8:36:53 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: default: DefaultServlet.init:  input buffer size=2048, output buffer
size=2048
Apr 2, 2010 8:36:54 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: Initializing Spring root WebApplicationContext
Apr 2, 2010 8:37:17 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: Farm Stand initialized
Apr 2, 2010 8:37:18 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: default: DefaultServlet.init:  input buffer size=2048, output buffer
size=2048
Apr 2, 2010 8:37:18 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: No Configuration for this context.  Initializing.
Apr 2, 2010 8:37:18 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: configuring cewolf app..
Apr 2, 2010 8:37:18 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: using storage class de.laures.cewolf.storage.ClusterableSessionStorage
Apr 2, 2010 8:37:18 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: using overlibURL /pages/scripts/overlib.js
Apr 2, 2010 8:37:18 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: debugging is turned off
Apr 2, 2010 8:37:18 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: ...done.
Apr 2, 2010 8:37:19 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: default: DefaultServlet.init:  input buffer size=2048, output buffer
size=2048
Apr 2, 2010 8:37:20 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: Initializing Spring root WebApplicationContext

catalina log:
Apr 2, 2010 8:36:52 AM org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener init
INFO: The APR based Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal
performance in production environments was not found on the java.library.path:
/usr/java/packages/lib/amd64:/lib:/usr/lib
Apr 2, 2010 8:36:52 AM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol init
INFO: Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080
Apr 2, 2010 8:36:52 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina load
INFO: Initialization processed in 483 ms
Apr 2, 2010 8:36:52 AM org.apache.catalina.users.MemoryUserDatabase save
WARNING: User database is not persistable - no write permissions on directory

The user running Tomcat isn't the same user that installed it.
Making the user that runs the server own the files is a fairly easy fix and would remove one thing from the list of potential problems.

Does cyclos require any configuration outside of it's webapp dir, ie jars in tomcat/lib or config files?

Can you post your server.xml with passwords and comments removed?

Apr 2, 2010 8:36:52 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService start
INFO: Starting service Catalina
Apr 2, 2010 8:36:52 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine start
INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/6.0.18
Apr 2, 2010 8:36:53 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployWAR
INFO: Deploying web application archive sample.war

The logs just stop there, and then there are no tomcat processes after
that.  I still get the same warning about the user database when I start
with just one app and that works fine so I don't think it is that...

Any ideas?  Thanks again!
Rick