2010/4/7 Arshan Dabirsiaghi <arshan.dabirsia...@aspectsecurity.com>:
> Just to close the loop here, the problem was that the class was being loaded
> twice - once from inside the *agent* jar, and another duplicate later from
> WEB-INF/classes. I guess Tomcat or Java was confused as to which version they
> wanted to use. Not 100% sure what happened, but removing it from the agent
> jar fixed the problem.

The servlet spec requires that the webapp classes and libraries were
preferred over the ones provided by Tomcat. More details in [1]    At
the same time, web applications are short-lived and can be stopped /
undeployed at any time, at which point their classloader and their
classes become unavailable.  Using those for something that is
JVM-wide may lead to leaked memory at best, or do not work at all.

[1] http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/class-loader-howto.html

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko