The request object in the servlet spec as I understand it as used in the
Tomcat 6 container for example makes use of the deprecated HTML
attribute "name" in order to tie individual elements of a HTML form to
server-side variables. This seem to imply that in order to produce
working Servlets one has to make pages that are invalid according to the
HTML 4.01 Strict spec as well as XHTML.
Is there any acceptable ways around this problem? I tried using just the
attribute "id", but then my forms was not understood by Tomcat 6 (the
version that comes with Netbeans 6.8).

I imagine I could make my own request object, inherit and override
"name" with "id", but perhaps this have already been done somewhere?