> b) the file that you are changing is not the one that is actually used.
> I do not use JBoss, so there might be differences with what I know.
> E.g., you are saying about context.xml, but in Tomcat that is
> configured in server.xml.

I found out jboss uses a hybrid of Tomcats server.xml file and its own
central way of setting ports for all its services.
The file for central port settings in jboss 5.1.0.ga is
/server/default/conf/bindingservice.beans/META-INF/bindings-jboss-beans.xml,
but its faily obscure. Inside the bindings-jboss-beans.xml theres a
piece of XSLT that transforms and overwrites the Connector tag
from the server.xml file. The XSLT works from a base port and theres
no direct mention of 8443 which is why I could find the
config with "find . -exec grep 8443 ...". Some of the XSLT
transformation wont match the connector tags in server.xml if the
ports
have been changed in server.xml and I found lots of posts from people
trying that approach - all in all it looks like an extremely flaky
way of controlling ports centrally but maybe its just because im doing it wrong.

This is what worked for me:

Change this line in bindings-jboss-beans.xml :
<xsl:attribute name="redirectPort"><xsl:value-of select="$portHttps"
/></xsl:attribute>
<xsl:attribute name="redirectPort"><xsl:value-of select="443" /></xsl:attribute>

(I believe this breaks the general jboss port settings based on having
a single base port from which other ports are calculated)