I wasn't able to find any direct Spring references to
ExpressionEvaluatorImpl but I searched through all the third party
libraries that I'm using and I found a reference to commons-el.jar in
the GranitDS 2.1.0.GA library. I suspect this library is what is
causing the dependency. As you suggested, I'll add commons-el.jar to
WEB-INF/lib.

Thanks for the help!

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 11:50 AM, Caldarale, Charles R
<chuck.caldar...@unisys.com> wrote:
>> From: Greg Bondy [mailto:gbo...@starmountsystems.com]
>> Subject: Missing commons-el.jar causes NoClassDefFoundError
>> org/apache/commons/el/ExpressionEvaluatorImpl
>
> (I was wondering when this would get transferred from the dev list :-)
>
>> I am migrating from Tomcat 5.5.27 to 6.0.26. I found that an
>> application I have running on 5.5.27 fails on 6.0.26 with the error:
>> NoClassDefFoundError org/apache/commons/el/ExpressionEvaluatorImpl. I
>> found that the class in question is located in commons-el.jar on
>> 5.5.27 and that jar is missing from 6.0.26.
>
> Looks like that class was replaced by
> org.apache.jasper.el.ExpressionEvaluatorImpl, located in jasper.jar, probably
> to avoid conflicts with webapp usage of the same.
>
>> The application is using Spring 3.0.1 and it appears that has a
>> dependency on org.apache.commons.el.ExpressionEvaluatorImpl.
>
> I could not find any explicit reference to that class in the Spring code.  Is
> it possible that there's a reference to it in your Spring configuration?
>
>> Can you tell me the reason for removing commons-el.jar. Is there a
>> better remedy to the NoClassDefFoundError problem other them copying
>> the jar file from 5.5.27?
>
> Try it, but place it in your webapp's WEB-INF/lib directory, not in Tomcat's
> lib directory.
>
>  - Chuck

> attachments from all computers.

Disclaimer: The information contained in this communication is confidential and
only for the use of the intended addressee(s).  If you have received this
communication in error, any disclosure or use of such information is strictly
prohibited.  Please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies.
Thank you.