I agree that I don't think this has to do with your Tomcat installation.
It sounds like you haven't even been able to get Tomcat running on
your Windows machine based on the first two paragraphs of your note.
Is that correct?

If you're not running a Tomcat process on your machine, then there is
no way it can be interfering with your normal internet connection.

For us to know for sure, can you post a screenshot or output of the
running processes and their ports on your Windows machine?
I suggest using TCPView (free) to show us what's running on your
machine. You can get it here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897437.aspx

Then we can help you determine if its a problem with your local Tomcat
process or something else.
It sounds like that would solve your initial problem/question.