I'm not familiar with the earlier versions of Hibernate, so I can't reliably
comment.

However, the principles should be the same even if some of the names have
changed.

If you are relying on Hibernate for database connections and database pooling,
then you'll want to put all of that information into the Hibernate
configuration files and none of it in META-INF/context.xml and WEB-INF/web.xml.

Just a quick skim of the documentation at
http://simoes.org/docs/hibernate-2.1/reference/html/index.html and a forum
message concerning cp30 configuration doesn't reveal any name changes, but your
mileage may vary.

Also, according to the migration document found at
http://community.jboss.org/wiki/HibernateCoreMigrationGuide30, there are a lot
of code changes between Hibernate 2 and Hibernate 3, but apparently no
configuration changes.

Hopefully, the c3p0 / Hibernate managed database connection configuration given
at the bottom of the Wiki page should work for Hibernate 2.x.

just my two cents . . . .

/mde/