Here is the AJP setting:

    <Connector port="8009" protocol="AJP/1.3" redirectPort="8443"
tomcatAuthentication="false" />

-----Original Message-----
From: Rainer Jung [mailto:rainer.j...@kippdata.de]
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2010 10:17 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: How can I get the user value in the request forwarded to my Tomcat
in my Java app?

On 27.05.2010 16:42, Savoy, Melinda wrote:
> In my isapi.log I am getting the user value (indicated below in BOLD RED
> font) from IIS using the Tomcat connector and my understanding from others on
> this list is that I should be able to get at that user value by using the
> HttpServletRequest getRemoteUser() however, I am getting a NULL value when
> doing that.  I'm sure I'm doing something stupid but I just can't see it.
>
> Here is what is in my isapi.log:
>
> [Thu May 27 09:11:21.706 2010] [4656:4920] [debug] jk_isapi_plugin.c (3108):
> Service protocol=HTTP/1.1 method=GET host=127.0.0.1 addr=127.0.0.1
> name=localhost port=80 auth=Negotiate user=TEXAS\SavoyM uri=/SCMIS/index.jsp
>
> Here is the code I'm using in Java to get at the user value above:
>
> public User authenticate(final HttpServletRequest request, final
> HttpServletResponse response) throws IOException {
>
>                  // Initialize the User object
>                  User user = null;
>
>                  // 1. Initiate the IIS authentication process.
>                  final String auth_user = request.getRemoteUser();
>                  final String auth_user2 =
> request.getUserPrincipal().getName();
>
>                  // 2. Create a User object with the user name
>                  if (auth_user != null)
>                          user = new User(auth_user, "");
>
>                  // 3. Check to see if the user is populated
>                  if (auth_user == null)
>                          throw new UnauthorizedException(response, user);
>
>                  // 4. Perform authentication if user not already
> authenticated
>                  if (SecurityContext.getUser(request) == null) {
>                          // a. Verify the user credentials
>                          if (!manager.verify(user))
>                                  return null;
>
>                          // b. Load the application-managed User object and
> save into the context
>                          user = manager.load(user);
>                          SecurityContext.setUser(user, request);
>                          return user;
>                  }
>
>                  return SecurityContext.getUser(request);
>          }
>
> As you can see I've also tried to get to the user by using the
> getUserPrincipal.getName() but that produces a NPE.
>
> Any help or direction from someone who knows Java would be greatly
> appreciated.

Please post the complete settings of your AJP Connector element in
server.xml. We want to check your "tomcatAuthentication" setting.

What happens, if you put

<%=request.getremoteUser()%>

as the only content into SCMIS/index.jsp and then request the URL
http://localhost/SCMIS/index.jsp in the browser? How does the above log
line look, and what do you get in the browser window?

Regards,

Rainer

The information contained in this message and any attachments is intended only
for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may
contain information that is PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL, and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
are prohibited from copying, distributing, or using the information.  Please
contact the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the original message
from your system.