This is pretty much what I have been working on.

As a few hints, you'll need Apache in front, and setup AJP on tomcat.

I have set up loadbalancing, and have the two tomcats doing session
sharing, and use the jvmroute to route to respected tomcat.

You might need to change your server webapp "java" code so that you
know which tomcat to jvmroute to.

Basically, with the loadbalancer,it can randomly pick any tomcat.
When the user logs in, I have some business logic to detect whether
they should be on current web app.  if they are not, I save session
details, and then I redirect to url again, but append the
jsessionid=SESSIONID.worker2 to url, and Apache knows from that to
automatically use worker2.  (assuming worker2 is the tomcat web app
user is supposed to be on).

The only thing I am worried about is race conditions with session
replication.  The worst that can happen is that the user will need to
log in again, if the session hasnt replicated in time.

The other option I am looking at is to redirect to different contexts
from a generic login page... but I havent worked out how I can set
Apache up to map many different contexts to one.

Google Apps seems to do this.  See http://www.google.com/a and then
"Click on" Sign in here, and enter a e.g. domain, ziateresa.com It
redirects to a new context.

/AB