On 6/16/2010 10:42 AM, Robinson, Eric wrote:

We run 150+ instances of tomcat on one server. To optimize memory
utilization, each tomcat instance is configured with 64MB by default
(export JAVA_OPTS="-ms64M -mx64M"). We then watch for
Java.Lang.OutOfmemory errors in the logs. If we see any of these over
time, we allocate additional RAM in 32MB increments until that instance
stops throwing errors. Most instances are happy with 64MB. Some need
96MB or 128MB. We have never seen a tomcat instance that throws
OutOfMemory errors with 256MB RAM.

If tomcat is not throwing OutOfMemory errors and system responsiveness
is good, is there really any reason to allocate higher amounts of RAM?

Nope.