On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 19:32:36 +0400, Konstantin Kolinko
<knst.koli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/6/17 Felix Schumacher <felix.schumac...@internetallee.de>:
>> For the moment I have written a filter, which sets a default encoding,
as
>> soon as Response.setContentType(String type) is called and
>> type.startsWith("text/"). That works for the moment, but I would prefer
>> the
>> solution described in above thread.
>
> I know that setting charset in a mime-mapping works, e.g.:
>
>     <mime-mapping>
>         <extension>htm</extension>
>         <mime-type>text/html;charset=iso-8859-1</mime-type>
>     </mime-mapping>
>     <mime-mapping>
>         <extension>html</extension>
>         <mime-type>text/html;charset=iso-8859-1</mime-type>
>     </mime-mapping>
>
> Note, that it would be better if the mime type set by a HTTP header
> and the one provided by HTML tag match strictly (case sensitively).
> Otherwise some browsers will start guessing.  IIRC, the HTML spec says
> that the HTTP header takes precedence, but not all browsers follow it
> strictly.
I will look into this one.

> Also there is AddDefaultCharsetFilter in Tomcat 7. It is similar to
> what you are doing, see its JavaDoc and source code.
Yes, my filter looked like a twin, with the exception, that I called
super.setCharacterEncoding(defaultEncoding) instead of manipulating the
content-type directly (and of course that defaultEncoding is different to
super.getCharacterEncoding() which would yield iso-8859-1).
I could extend that filter to my needs. Should I file a enhancement
request for that?

>> apache httpd thinks it would be better to append a
>> charset to the response
>
> I wonder, if there is a way to improve your Apache HTTPD configuration.
I tried to let apache httpd now that in location /webapp the default
charset was different from iso-8859-1. But mod_jk ignored my pledges :(
Even so I think DefaultServlet should be able to set a charset if
configured to.

Bye
 Felix