2010/6/18 dB. <dbl...@dblock.org>:
> This question is all over the internet, without a satisfactory answer.
>
> We have a Tomcat deployment in which we install many web apps. We call this
> thing a services host. It has a log4j configuration that forwards logs into a
> file. I'd like to change the file pattern to include the name of the webapp,
> so that we can get one file per web application.
>

> *         Is anyone doing that?

I do this all the time.

For applications using commons-logging, I place commons-logging.jar
and log4j.jar in the webapp's WEB-INF/lib directory and
log4j.properties in WEB-INF/classes. The same works if slf4j-api and
slf4j-log4j12 is used instead of or in addition to commons-logging.

I never add jar files used by individual webapps to tomcat's lib or
any other directory shared by several webapps.

kind regards
- Erik