> From: Caldarale, Charles R [mailto:chuck.caldar...@unisys.com]
> Subject: Re: Setting the Right Amount of Memory
>
> Unreachable (dead) objects are never encountered,
> so their number or size does not come into play.

For complete disclosure, I should note that dead objects in the tenured (old)
and permanent generations are looked at (but only during a full GC), since the
compaction phase has to figure out where the live ones can be copied to.
However, since in nearly all cases, more than 90% of dead objects are in the
young generation, few dead objects are examined and the cost is minimal.  The
"compaction" phase for the young generation (minor GC) actually consists of
copying the live objects to a survivor space, which is guaranteed to be empty.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.