> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:ch...@christopherschultz.net]
> Subject: Re: Showing Tomcat Memory Utilization with 'top'
>
> Also, I believe VIRT includes memory shared with other processes

Doesn't RES also include shared pages - anything that's in the memory map of
the process?  (I can't remember exactly how that works, but the shared pages
have to be accounted for somewhere.)

> so if you have 50MiB of Java system classes loaded and a modern
> JVM which shares them among running JVMs

Note that only the client HotSpot JVM shares classes; the server version does
not.  (The sharing is really class templates, not the class objects themselves.)

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.