Hi guys, sorry for the bother. I do have a question related to how a certain
feature was implemented in Tomcat (6.0, probably
all of them), that's why I address the question to the dev-list and the
user-list.
I do have a fairly complicated case, in which I have a filter for jsp's, and I
use a custom request wrapper in the respective filter.
My request wrapper overrides setAttribute and getAttribute (does some internal
management, not relying on the "super"),
and I had the surprise to see that the setAttribute from my wrapper doesn't get
called from the
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationHttpRequest setAttribute, at least not for
the "special attributes" (and I need the
javax.servlet.include attributes, which Tomcat considers "special").

The code that I find is problematic is copied underneath (the if(!setSpecial)
part), and the question is "why doesn't the
getRequest.setAttribute get called ALL THE TIME". The problem manifests when I
do a jsp:include, and when the
filter on the included jsp checks my wrapper, can't find the
javax.servlet.include.* attributes. This is somewhat bothering,
considering that I don't have this issue with Weblogic and Websphere, both do
call my wrapper's set/getAttribute...

p.s. the code I believe is at fault is:

org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationHttpRequest
public  void setAttribute(String name,
    Object value)
{
        if (name.equals(Globals.DISPATCHER_TYPE_ATTR)) {
            dispatcherType = value;
            return;
        } else if (name.equals(Globals.DISPATCHER_REQUEST_PATH_ATTR)) {
            requestDispatcherPath = value;
            return;
        }
        if (!setSpecial(name, value)) {
            getRequest().setAttribute(name, value);
        }
}So, the questions are:

1. do you think is a big issue if I remove the "if" and I just use instead to
instructions -
- setSpecial(name, attribute);
- getRequest().setAttribute...
In my tests it seemed to work fine, but maybe I don't grasp all the
implications.

2. any particular reason for calling the getRequest().setAttribute only for
some (non-special) attributes, but not for others (javax.servlet.include.*)?

thanks for any suggestion/
ranjix

Learn more.