I get back to this discussion beacuse I was brainstorming again on it, and found
that the already present class loader may actually be able to do this alone.
My thought was: if Tomcat is capable of managing different application contexts
under
its "work" folder, and have them run different applications with different
class versions
inside their classes/lib, probably it may implement automatic application
updates
by createing different application contexts behind the scene.
I see this scenario:
- Tomcat is running my webapp
- People have sessions on it, and Tomcat has its application context on my
webapp
- I place new jar files/classes
- Tomcat detects, and instead of reloading and invalidating current sessions,
it will
keep current sessions on the old application context, until they reach 0
sessions
- Meanwhile it may create a new application context to run new sessions
How hard would it be to make this true in Tomcat?
Is there any other Java WebApp Container capable of doing this?
Gabriele.
Gabriele Bulfon - Sonicle S.r.l.
Tel +39 028246016 Int. 30 - Fax +39 028243880
Via Felice Cavallotti 16 - 20089, Rozzano - Milano - ITALY
http://www.sonicle.com