Robedan,

On 7/14/2010 1:29 PM, Robedan wrote:
>> Can you post all
>> active <Connector> elements from your conf/server.xml file?
>
> Attached.

[inlined here:]

> <Connector className="org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteConnector"
> port="80" minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="75" enableLookups="true"
> redirectPort="443" acceptCount="100" debug="0"
> connectionTimeout="20000" useURIValidationHack="false"
> disableUploadTimeout="true"/>

Okay, that's a standard HTTP connector. If the webapp demands a
transport-guarantee of CONFIDENTIAL or INTEGRAL, the connection should
be automatically upgraded by Tomcat by sending the client a redirect to
the same URL but with https:// and the redirectPort set above. So, if
you request http://host/myapp/foo.jsp, then Tomcat should redirect to
https://host/myapp/foo.jsp given the above configuration (use of the
default redirectPort of 443 does not result in :443 being added to the
end of the host portion, since it's the default).

The above plus the <transport-guarantee> should be all you need. What is
your experience when you use these two settings together?

> <Connector className="org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteConnector"
> port="443" minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="75" enableLookups="true"
> acceptCount="100" debug="0" scheme="https" secure="true"
> useURIValidationHack="false" disableUploadTimeout="true">
>     [...]
> </Connector>

Technically, the configuration of the HTTPS connector is not relevant:
Tomcat won't ever "downgrade" your connection for you.

>> The web.xml file should be in
>> your webapp's deployment directory under WEB-INF/web.xml.
>
> I've tried it there, but with the same results.

What were those results? Give us an example of a URL that should
redirect to a secure URL. Can you use wget or something similar to show
what the server interaction is?

> This is the only application that will ever be on this server, so
> either should work, yes?

Yes, either should work, but there's no reason to be sloppy, is there?

>> Your vendor needs to get with the program and
>> start supporting a version of Tomcat that was written in the last 5 years.
>
> Amen! I may end up trying what you did, but I'm not familiar with Tomcat yet.
> I'm a quick study though...

Is this a custom webapp that your company owns, or is this something
you've bought from someone else, and they refuse to support a newer
version of Tomcat? I would imagine that security and performance would
be goals worthy of their attention. Maybe they already have your money,
though ;)