On 16 Jul 2010, at 15:56, Praveen Sripati <praveensrip...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We are in the process of migrating Tomcat and MySQL to Microsoft Azure Cloud
> and facing challenges due to the dynamic nature of the cloud like allocation
> of dynamic ip and ports to the instances of Tomcat & MySQL in Azure. Because
> of this behavior Tomcat needs to
>
> 1) Dynamically update the ip and ports of the different MySQL instances in
> the JDBC URL (
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/connector-j-reference-replication-connection.html).
> Suppose the following is the JDBC URL, then it has to be updated in Tomcat
> at run-time when a new instance of MySQL is bought up or an instance of
> MySQL is bought down.

So don't put the IP address in there, put a resolvable name instead and
dynamically update that - which is a more conventional way of doing things.

> url=jdbc:mysql:replication://127.0.0.1:5104,127.0.0.1:5108,127.0.0.1:5112,
> 127.0.0.1:5116,127.0.0.1:5116/itops
>
> 2) We are using DBCP (http://commons.apache.org/dbcp/) for connection
> pooling. Similarly when a new instance of MySQL is bought up or an instance
> of MySQL is bought down the pool has to be updated dynamically accordingly
> at run-time.

While apps are using the pool? Good luck with that.

You'd be better off pooling the DB and having something work out where to route
the db pool connections and just point DBCP at that.