Thanks for the reply Chuck.

I don't want to replace the default ROOT webapp, in other words, I don't
want my specific webapp to be ROOT app. But I would like to restrict/hide
information normally exposed by the default ROOT webapp. I am thinking about
renaming ROOT directory to some other-random-name and restrict access to
other-random-name using IP filtering. Any suggestions or comments?

Also, an unrelated question to IP filtering, but related manager webapp.  I
removed 'manager' from webapps directory. Now I am not able to access
http://hostname/manager , but http://hostname/manager/html works. I am not
following how second link is working?  Am I missing anything?

Thanks,
jM.