On Jul 22, 2010, at 9:19 AM, Darren Kukulka wrote:

> Another, more difficult scenario, is when one of the Tomcat cluster
> nodes begins to groan and become unresponsive, say when OldGen or
> PermGen becomes full...in this case the mod_jk connector does not
> identify the node as having failed and will continue to attempt to pass
> requests to it, rather than pass them to the more responsive node.

We had this problem often. mod_proxy_ajp seems to suffer from the same malady.
I got fed up with it and wrote my own session manager and switched to using
HAProxy. HAProxy will let you use a URL as a health checker.

My article on using HAProxy rather than mod_jk/mod_proxy_ajp:
http://www.tomcatexpert.com/blog/2010/07/12/trick-my-proxy-front-tomcat-haproxy-instead-apache

Jon Brisbin
Portal Webmaster
NPC International, Inc.