Hi Erik
  Thanks very much for your responses.
I can assure that i'm interested in this topic even now :).

My scenario is this:

1. I use a web application that runs in JBOSS.

2. JBOSS uses a tomcat web container from what i can see.

3. To my application if i pass a UTF-8 encoded value in hex e.g:

Then %xx is not decoded properly. I initially used to send the request with a
mozilla browser but later started sending it with a java program as well with
the same results.

I tried setting the URI Encoding parameters in the tomcat server.xml - with no
success.
I then set a filter to specifically set the encoding to utf-8 - again with no
luck - behavior was exactly the same.

But when i sent the param as %25xx ( %25= hex value of the % character), it
worked fine but i suspect that the string gets stored in ISO 8859 format - like
you say: it gets mangled...
I wrote a standalone web application that showed the same behavior.
I haven't tried with a standalone tomcat.

I know that we need to take care of the encodings at various points but how can
i rule out  a problem with my web container configuration settings? Or can it
be a problem coming from the web container itself?

Thanks and regards
Arun